Having a good breakfast can really make a difference to your day. It provides your body and brain with the necessary fuel to prepare you for the day ahead and will kick start your metabolism into gear.
Not only will it provide you with energy but your concentration levels will also increase and it helps to prevent that mid morning slump that usually has you reaching for sugar laden biscuits and cakes as a quick pick me up.
It really is the most important meal of the day! Below are a few recipes that not only taste yummy but are a great start for your morning.
Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of natural or greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of mixed nuts, chopped
Mash the blueberries with a fork, or process in a blender until they turn into a pulp.
Soak the chia seeds in the almond milk, blueberry pulp and vanilla extract overnight in the fridge. They will expand and turn into a pudding consistency.
Stir through the yoghurt and serve with chopped walnuts on top.
Super Clean Scrambled Eggs Recipes
- 2-3 organic eggs
- Splash of milk or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives to garnish
Add all ingredients into blender and leave for approx. 6-8 mins to get your desired consistency. Serve with toasted spelt bread and a garnish of chopped chives.
Tropical Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of pineapple
- (you can also add nuts, chia seeds or or flax seeds to give your smoothie an extra boost!)
Add all ingredients to blender or juicer and mix until smooth.
*Add a splash more coconut water if you think it’s too think.
*You could also chop and freeze the banana and pineapple the night before to make your smoothie super cold – just be sure to thaw for 5 minutes before hand.
Coffee Banana Smoothie Recipe
- 2 banana
- 1 and 1/2 cups of your preferred milk (soy, nut or regular all work well)
- 2 spoons of natural yoghurt
- 1 shot of coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- a dash ground nutmeg
- 2 or 3 ice cubes
Add all ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.
Breakfast Parfaits with Raw Sugar-Free Raspberry Jam
- Fruit & nut mix (a good mixture of raw walnuts, almonds, macadamia’s, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, oats with dehydrated apple, cherries, blueberries, apricots and banana pieces - all ratio’s are up to you, add in or subtract whatever you like!)
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ½ cup firmly packed chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups fresh raspberries (frozen won’t work)
- Natural liquid sweetener (nectar agave or organic honey) *optional
To make the Raw Sugar-Free Raspberry Jam:
1. Pour the coconut water into your blender and add the dates, blend on high until a paste has formed.
2. Scrape down the sides then add the chia seeds and half the raspberries, blend on low until berries have broken up – this should only take a second or two.
3. Add the remaining berries and mix until your desired consistency is reached.
4. If the jam is too tart add some of your preferred sweetener but do be careful as you don’t want your jam to become too runny.
5. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the chia seeds swell and thicken and the lovely jammy flavours develop.
Assembly of the Breakfast Parfait:
Layer the fruit and nut mix, yoghurt and raspberry jam in a glass. Repeat until glass is full and top with fresh fruit.
Seven Reasons Why You Should Eat Breakfast
1. Your metabolism is lowered. Basically metabolism is your body’s ability to burn calories. Eating regularly helps your body to maintain energy levels and as your body has been fasting all night skipping breakfast can then lead to a lack of energy that you will need to get you through your day.
2. Low Concentration. Skipping meals leads to lowered concentration levels, skipping breakfast will compound this effect as you have been fasting overnight, in addition it may also affect your coordination and memory.
3. It helps your body to maintain insulin levels. Not eating breakfast may result in your blood sugar levels dropping so low that it can lead to hypoglycemia, this condition can cause dizziness, sweating, shaking and in some cases fainting.
4. It provides your body with energy. Skipping breakfast is basically depriving your body of the energy it needs to perform even the simplest of daily tasks and will lead to tiredness and lethargy.
5. Cravings. Not having a nutritious breakfast is sure fire way to lead to mid morning cravings when you are more likely to reach for snacks with zero nutritional value such as cakes and crisps. Eating breakfast will keep you full and satisfied.
6. It can make you grumpy! You might not even realize that you are irritable but skipping breakfast can make you grouchy. Breakfast will give you the necessary fuel to start your morning right and makes getting through your day easier.
7. It can help you lose weight. Studies have found that people who eat a healthy breakfast tend to lose and maintain weight loss more easily than those who do not eat breakfast.
Breakfast should be celebrated! It’s yummy, nutritious and a great way to start your day…think outside the box when it comes to your morning meal, it doesn’t have to be all about toast and cereal! Here are some fun facts to whet your appetite and get your taste buds going.
- The average person sits down to breakfast at 7.31am during the week and at 8.28am on the weekends
- The UK’s favourite breakfast is a cooked breakfast, followed by porridge, cereal then toast
- Bread is bought by 99% of UK households and nearly 12 million loaves are sold each day…that equates to 43 loaves per person!
- 124,000 hectares of oats are grown in the UK – that’s more than the area of Berkshire!
As you can see breakfast is a very important meal indeed and the nutritional value of this meal should not be undervalued. It’s easy to make healthy and wholesome breakfast meals in a BioChef Blender – and not all of them are smoothies!